BUILDING CODES FOR BUILDING DECKS
Course 1 of 4
LEDGERS & LATERAL LOADS
This updated 2021 IRC course begins by discussing loads and lumber provisions specific to deck construction. It’s followed by a creative look at cladding, water-resistive barrier, and flashing provisions. The course then takes a deep dive into all the specifics in the IRC regarding a ledger to band joist connection, including a graphical presentation of the required fastener spacing. Alternative ledger connections beyond what the code offers are also introduced. Finally, deck lateral live loads are discussed and presented like never before. Though the IRC provides a connection, this course invites professionals to look at the overall mechanics of lateral bracing and ask questions about the stability of the design, even when the IRC doesn’t.
This course is approximately 3.0 hours and approved for 0.30 CEU from the International Code Council and 3.0 HSW LU from the American Institute of Architects.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, attendees will…
- Understand the limitations of the IRC’s ledger connection provisions and how to work with them.
- Realize the interaction between the water-resistive barrier, flashing, and different cladding.
- Be introduced to the mechanics of deck lateral bracing and ideas for how to address it.
- Discover the history of how the ledger provisions began and have evolved.
Course Approvals and Credits
- Exclusive, recommended education for the North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA) Master Deck Professional-Code Certification
- 0.30 Preferred Provider CEU from the International Code Council (ICC)
- 3.0 HSW LU from the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Course Instructor: Glenn Mathewson, MCP
Code Edition(s): 2021 International Residential Code
- Ledger Attachment
- Fastener Placement
- Lateral Bracing
- Lateral Connection
- Alternative Ledgers
About The Course
INSERT VIDEO HERE
FOUR ENROLLMENT OPTIONS!
– EVERY Course –
– EVERY Webinar –
– ALL the ICC CEUs –
– ONE YEAR of Access –
– ALL of EVERYTHING –
– ONLY $299 –
There is no better value for quality education than Full Enrollment. One price, one year, all the education.
– Every Course –
– Videos Only –
– 6 Months of Access –
– Just $199 –